I would like to ask this question about learning database design from the ground up. Because I want to know how I can become a database developer. How To Learn Database Design From The Ground Up
I have no idea what I should learn to become a database designer?
What is the salary scale of a junior-level database designer / developer?
Can your database career advisor help me with this?
Today information management technology plays a more critical role than ever before because of the increasing
amounts of data each organization creates and handles.
This is compounded by the growing e-commerce industry which generates a large amount of data that is stored and accessed using Web-based technologies like PHP, ASP.NET, Java.
Industries such as healthcare, telecommunications, financial, manufacturing industries handle large amounts of data on a daily basis and they require skilled database developers / designers who can design efficient enterprise databases.
With this demand set to learn database design, you have to get some training because there is a lot to learn.Learn What A Database Designer / Developer Does
A database developer is responsible for managing databases of a company, organizing data according to the specifications laid out by employers, controlling and streamlining access to the data, and implementing security measures.
The Duties, Roles and Responsibilities of Database Designers
Database developers work with data analysts for importing data into new databases.
They also work with report developers and design new database structures. Moreover, they closely work with software developers to developing data storage systems.Their responsibilities may include
Required Database Designer Skills
- Designing new database structures
- Estimating the time needed for the completion of the project
- Setting deadlines
- Writing the required applications, test scripts and technical documentation
- Supervising on the work of other programmers
- Setting and defining access controls to databases
Reporting Services (SSRS)You may also be proficient in any of the following
- A database developer should have the following:
- Knowledge of logical database design
- Experience in physical database design
- Skills in SQL data definition
- Skills in SQL data manipulation
- Knowledge of entity-relationship (ER) modeling
- Knowledge of indexing, performance tuning and optimization
- Strong skills in SQL / data analysis
- Knowledge of querying data using SQL
- Programming knowledge with T-SQL
- Knowledge or experience in database development using Microsoft SQL Server
- Knowledge of SQL Server Analysis Services (SSAS), SQL Server Integration Services (SSIS) and SQL Server
- Microsoft Access
- Microsoft SQL Server
- IBM DB2
Knowledge in various programming languages such as SQL, VB and Java and Knowledge of MySQL, Data Migration in XML, Transact SQL Programming will be an added advantage.Salary
According to Robert Half Technology, the salary of a database developer is anywhere between $73,500 and $103,000.
Yet another survey reports, a skilled database developer takes home approximately $84,000 as salary.Qualifications
The most common qualifications employers seek in a potential employee are a degree in computer science or management information systems or information sciences.
If you are passionate about mathematics and complex puzzles and have a degree in software development or computer science, this job is apt for you.
Getting an industry valid certification in database development is highly advisable.
There are hosts of certifications on the offer today. You can choose to do any of the following:Microsoft Certifications
- Microsoft Certified Database Administrator (MCDBA)
- Database Administrator: Microsoft Certified Technical Specialist (MCTS)
- Database Developer: Microsoft Certified Technical Specialist (MCTS)
- Microsoft Certified IT Professional (MCITP)
- Database 11g Administrator Certified Associate
- Oracle PL/SQL Developer Certified Associate certification
In short, you must first decide in which database server/application you want to specialize in. Then develop your skills accordingly.
You can work towards becoming a database developer in a planned manner. Gain as much experience as possible because you canâ€™t get a job merely with a degree or a certification.
You need to showcase significant amount of experience in database development.
- You can gain this experience in various ways. Some of them are given below:
- Contribute to open source projects: There are slews of open source projects available online. Do a research and try to get one. Contribute to such projects by writing scripts.
- Internship: Look out for organizations that need database developers as interns.
- Freelance: You can get a lot of freelancing projects online. Try to bid for such projects.
With a valid degree, a certification and significant amount of experience, it wonâ€™t be difficult for you to get a database developers job.
Let me say that this is a promising world of opportunities. With the right qualifications and skills, you can be a successful database designer / developer.